Individual Advocacy is an issues based model of advocacy that seeks to assist people with disability to achieve a fair and just outcome in instances of rights breaches and where capacity is limited. Our advocates are professional employees that have specialist skills and experience in resolving issues that specifically affect our client base.
We are able to provide:
- Direct advocacy; speaking, acting and representing the interests of our clients for specific issues
- Support to individuals to enable them to advocate for themselves
- Issue specific advice
- Referrals to other organisations
Illawarra Advocacy is not able to provide:
- Case management services
- Advocacy services when a disability support worker or case manager can provide the appropriate advocacy support and they do not have a conflict of interest
- Advocacy for a person when a more appropriate service is available to advocate and assist
Owing to the size of the organisation, Illawarra Advocacy is unfortunately not able to provide advocacy to all people. As such, Illawarra Advocacy has to prioritise the issues that it undertakes. If in the circumstance that the organisation is unable to speedily provide a client with advocacy we will endeavour to assist by referring on to other specific organisations or place the client on a waiting list.