- People with disability can contact the Disability Gateway to get free, fact-checked and private information and advice about COVID-19. They can also be referred to other support services if needed, including counselling and advocacy. The Disability Gateway can help families, carers and support workers, too.
- To use the Disability Gateway, go to Disability Gateway or call 1800 643 787. The Disability Gateway phone line is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm AEDT.
- If you need information in a language other than English, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask to be connected to the Disability Gateway.
- If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677 and ask to be connected to the Disability Gateway.
What is Disability Advocacy?
Advocacy means supporting people with disability to:
- Have their say
- Stand up for their rights and choices
- Be part of their community
- Be valued and respected
- Achieve their goals
Illawarra Advocacy’s mission is to recognise, support and defend the rights, dignity, choice and individuality of people with disability.
Illawarra Advocacy is an independent, local community organisation that is funded by the Federal Dept. of Social Services to provide free independent advocacy to people with disability residing in the Illawarra.
Support in the Areas of :
- Abuse and Neglect
- Rights infringements
- Service Providers
- To promote full e ective participation and inclusion in society
- To provide a professional, person centred advocacy service for people with disability
- To uphold the inherent dignity and intrinsic rights of people with disability