2x NDIS Appeals Officer/Individual Advocate
Part-time, fixed-term contract ending 29/06/2018 with the potential for extension.
20 hrs per week
Position based in Wollongong, NSW
Illawarra Advocacy is an independent, not-for-profit organisation that has had a presence in the disability sector in the Illawarra region for over 25 years. We are funded by the Federal Department of Social Services (DSS) to provide Individual Advocacy and NDIS Appeals advocacy to people with disability in the Illawarra and Shoalhaven region.
About the role
Illawarra Advocacy receives funding from the DSS to provide advocacy and support to clients engaged in seeking review of NDIA (National Disability Insurance Agency) decisions as well as funding to provide Individual Advocacy under the National Disability Advocacy Program (NDAP). The successful applicants will provide advocacy assistance with NDIA Appeals and NDAP matters. This will include informing, assisting and supporting clients in the drafting and submitting of applications to the AAT (Administrative Appeals Tribunal) and attending AAT conferences and tribunal hearings with or on behalf of clients. Individual Advocacy duties will also be performed.
• Assist applicants to navigate the process of seeking an Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) review of NDIA decisions, including preparing documents, attending conferences and tribunal hearings;
• Assist applicants to self-advocate where possible, or provide individual advocacy support, developing and implementing an individual plan in partnership with the applicant;
• Ensure a referral to the Central Assessment Provider (CAP) where legal issues are highlighted for a determination as to whether legal services will be provided (for complex or novel legal cases);
• Provide public information about the availability and role of the support person;
• Assist in the development of skills in self-advocacy by conducting individual or group sessions;
• Provision of Individual Advocacy to clients; and
• Other duties as required.
• Degree level qualification with significant demonstrated experience in legal and/or social employment, or other relevant qualifications and experience that relate to the key activities of the position;
• Demonstrated experience in providing advocacy to clients and an understanding of the disability sector;
• Knowledge of the NDIS and the NDIS Appeals process;
• An understanding of the AAT processes,
• Knowledge and understanding of the National Standards for Disability Services;
• Ability to interpret policies and procedures;
• Demonstrated high level interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a broad range
• Demonstrated experience in developing professional networks and facilitating and providing public
• Willingness to perform and satisfy National police Check and Working with Children Check;
• Current drivers licence;
• Access to fully comprehensively insured and registered vehicle.
Applications for the positions close at 5pm on the 25th of January 2018.
Applications addressing the selection criteria to be forwarded to or posted to P.O. Box 5134 Wollongong 2500.